Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Kale chips

I made kale chips over the weekend and brought them into the office to share with my coworkers. It seems I've started a kale chip addiction since the chips went fast and there were several requests for the "recipe." Sorry, no photos, but if you search for "kale chips." you'll find lots of food bloggers doing it. ;)
  1. Wash and dry kale (the drier the better; I used my salad spinner to dry the kale).
  2. Remove stems. You can save them for stock or add them to your compost heap.
  3. Tear leaves into bite size pieces (not too small because they'll shrink a lot).
  4. Coat leaves with olive oil. I probably used just over a tablespoon to cover one large bunch of kale. I used my hands to rub in the olive oil. If you toss the leaves, you'll need more olive oil to coat the leaves.
  5. Spread leaves in a single layer on a baking sheet.
  6. Bake at 275 or 300 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. About halfway through, shake the baking sheet to make sure the leaves are evenly distributed and not covering each other. (I used my large toaster oven and had to bake the chips in two batches.)
  7. Add sea salt or other seasonings. Note that some people add the seasonings with the olive oil. I'm not sure how the flavor will differ.
Enjoy!

No comments: