Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Suicide tomatoes

I enjoy watching the growth in my garden. In the spring and summer, there's enough daylight that I can check in the morning or evening, whichever is more convenient. During the winter, there isn't as much to see, which is good since I usually only have time on weekends. But, this year, I'm going out more often because of an oddity. Every few days, I find an unripe tomato lying on the ground. I wonder why they're falling off the bush. They ripen just fine in the house and are very tasty. Are they trying to escape being picked and eaten? I've taken to calling them "suicide tomatoes."

2 comments:

Kristie said...

I like that name. Seems fitting, considering. Just be glad you can grow a tomato at all. Over the summer I got these massive, hearty tomato plants and never got a single tomato from them. My fault though because I over fertilized. :( I should've listened to that little voice in my head that was telling me it was too, too much.

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

LOL -- suicide tomatoes!

It's funny though, I'm apparently just midwesterner through and through -- the thought of having growing tomatoes right now just boggles my mind.