- Cover the corned beef with water and let sit for an hour. Discard the water.
- Refill the pot and bring the water to a simmer. Again, discard the water (it will probably be scummy).
- Refill the pot and bring the water to a simmer again.
- Simmer the beef for about an hour per pound, minus 1/2 hour (that's for baking time).
- Transfer the corned beef to a baking dish. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix some brown sugar and mustard together and coat the top of the corned beef. (I used about 1/3 cup of brown sugar [not packed] and 2 tablespoons of mustard.)
- Bake for about 1/2 hour. You end up with a yummy topping similar to a Honey-Baked ham.
This was so delicious! I think this is Mr. Fix-it's new favorite.