Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Oil pulling, day 1

I've been intrigued by the concept of oil pulling, an Ayurveda health practice. Basically, you swish a tablespoon of oil in your mouth for 15-20 minutes, first thing in the morning. This is supposed to have all kinds of health and cosmetic benefits, including whitening your teeth and freshening your breath, eliminating cavities, curing arthritis, and other far-fetched claims. Today was my first attempt at this and it was a little weird and not too unpleasant. First, I forgot how much oil to use and I used too much, about 1 1/2 tablespoons, and had to spit some out after a few minutes. Sunflower or sesame oil are recommended, but some people use coconut oil. Since I have some of that on hand, that's what I used. I had to wait for the oil to melt (in this weather, coconut oil is solid at room temperature), which I didn't like. I swished for about 20 minutes and the oil was slightly milky when I spit it out. It is supposed to be milky, but I have the impression it is supposed to be more milky than what I spit out. My mouth was very sensitive for the next few hours, which I didn't like.

I won't be doing this tomorrow morning since I have to get up early, but I will try it again later in the week. The reality is, I won't do it every day, but hopefully, it do it at least a few times a week before I decide if this is helpful or a scam.

No comments: