Saturday, June 24, 2006

June Garden Update

The crooked neck squash is growing like gangbusters. Ironic since I'm usually not very successful with squash. You know how you're not supposed to plant more than one zucchini plant, lest you be overrun with the critters? That has never been my problem. My problem is getting the dang plant to live long enough so I can get even a meal's worth of squash.

My tomatoes have lots of blossoms, but also already have some sort of blight. Do I cut my loses now and take out the plants? All the plants I have are from organic growers and all are heirloom tomatoes. I was hoping they would be more resistant to disease, but that isn't the case.

I didn't get any beets this year. :( I planted them three or four times and not one came up. Either my seeds were too old or the birds had a picnic. I wish I knew which. I haven't had any luck with basil or bell peppers either. I should be getting cucumbers (just had one in my salad tonight) and some sort of Chinese melon (I forgot what I planted, lol). And we've been enjoying the Swiss chard; just had some in vegetarian lasagne tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

bummer! the heirlooms from our co-op have been DELISH! course I can't get ANYTHING to grow.