Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Jury duty

Yep, that's how I spent my day. Right in the midst of our busy season and I have a project due this week. But, when I got the summons, I didn't have this project and we weren't quite as busy. I was a bit frantic last week trying to make sure I got as much done as possible and yesterday I left extensive notes for everyone in case I was selected as a juror.

This time, I had to go to Superior Court rather than the local court I had been to before. In some ways, it was a nicer experience. The juror room was huge with comfy chairs, several tables, and computer corrals. (I hope someone enjoys the current magazines I finished reading and left behind.) The cafeteria was small, but serviceable. There is much more activity, which made the experience more interesting.

I am so proud of my fellow citizens. There wasn't anyone who gave excuses about it being a hardship. No one who brought their children. Not too many complaints about the time. A few times, we had to self select based on the criteria they read off (not that they didn't have our info) and people lined up to go to the various courtrooms without complaint. So while I'm happy I wasn't selected for a jury, I am also happy to have served my civic duty and happy that we have the 6th and 7th Amendments.

No comments: