Sunday, April 05, 2009

Couponing

I need to rethink my couponing strategy. I usually cut out all the coupons, then sort them among the many people I share them with, then finally, I file mine. I'm finding that takes too long; it can take more than a week to do all that (I usually cut/sort in the car when we're going somewhere or when I'm watching TV). I'm finding that I've given away coupons that I could have used (oops, no free granola bars for me) or I end up with multiples when I only need one or two.

One "problem" is my FIL gives me his coupons, but he doesn't get them to me for a week or two or three, after I've cut and sorted my own set. By then, some are close to their expiration date. Do I still clip and send? I hate seeing coupons go to waste. But on the other hand, my time is valuable too. And Mr. Fix-it is really tired of seeing coupons all over the house.

I'm wondering if keeping coupons in their flyers is a better way to go. A lot of coupon hounds recommend that. But then, do I take the whole stack to the store when I shop? A lot of times, I'll find something on sale or clearance and there's no way I could find a coupon in a stack. My coupon box is so much more organized.

I can't stop couponing because it saves us so much money (even though I'm not as good as a lot of you). But really, this is driving me crazy, even stressing me out. Isn't that stupid? All over a few cents and some scraps of paper.

No comments: