Saturday, April 11, 2009

Frugality gone too far

The other day, I was in the produce section pricing cherry tomatoes. I like the little ones that you can just pop in your mouth as a snack, so cute! so yummy! I know that tomatoes aren't in season, but still, I was in the mood for tomatoes. I wanted some for my salad. I wanted some to snack on. I wanted something bright and cheery and fresh for my dinner. But they were $3.99. For a few ounces. I don't pay that much for a steak; how could I pay that much for tomatoes? In a few months, hopefully, I'll have more tomatoes than I know what to do with. $3.99? Outrageous! So I passed on the tomatoes and I wish I didn't. Really, I can afford $3.99 right? So why couldn't I spend the money? Because they weren't on sale? Because I didn't have a coupon? Because I know I'll be getting them for "free" in a couple months? If I can't buy food that I want, when I want, that I can afford, maybe I have a problem. At least that's what Mr. Fix-it thinks.

2 comments:

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

I think it's okay that you didn't buy them. I don't think there is anything wrong with not paying a fortune for out of season fruits/veggies that have traveled thousands of miles. Just because you *can* afford something, doesn't mean you should buy it.

kathy said...

Man, I am so like you! Then later I wish I would have spent the extra because I'm still craving them. I'm with you, in a few months I'll have lots. We are trying that hanging tomato kit - fingers crossed. :)