Saturday, October 24, 2009

Pumpkin raisin muffins

I was feeling domestic again so I made another batch of pumpkin muffins. The first batch I made was based on the Pioneer Woman's recipe. Since I'm not a muffin fan, I'm not the best judge. I wasn't thrilled with them, but Mr. Fix-it thought they were okay.

I tried a different recipe today (with modifications, of course, included below) and they're a hit! Well, I thought they were a bit dry, but Mr. Fix-it thought they were moister than the previous batch. Since he's the one eating them, I'd say his opinion counts for more. On the plus side, they're healthier than the Pioneer Woman's version (I think).

Notice the Christmas liners? No, I'm not trying to start the holidays early. They're the only liners I have in the house. I need to buy some more, but of course, I'm too cheap to buy more when I've still got usable ones, even if they are out of season.

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin pie mix (or 1 cup canned pumpkin + 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice)
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup raisins

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line cupcake pan w/liners.
2. Sift dry ingredients together.
3. Beat eggs and sugar together. Add pumpkin, apple sauce, and oil, and mix well.
4. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in raisins.
5. Fill muffins 3/4 full.
6. Bake for 19-21 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

Makes 18 muffins.

Notes: I thought they were a little too sweet, probably because of the apple sauce and raisins so next time I will decrease the sugar slightly.

No comments: