Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Water dogs

After the big shopping trip at the Asian market, I made a batch of dumplings. I decided to wrap these a different way and used round wrappers instead of square wrappers. This shape is a little easier than won tons and thus the wrapping goes faster. I froze the dumplings as soon as I made them; that's why they're in the pie tin. I don't have a lot of room in my freezer, but I can usually find just enough room to squeeze in a few tins.
These are called shui jiao in Mandarin and sui gao in Cantonese. Depending on how good (or bad) your Mandarin pronunciation is, you could be saying water dumpling or sleep. And depending on how good (or bad) your Cantonese pronunciation is, you could be saying water dumplings or water dogs.

After freezing the dumplings (it takes around 45 minutes to an hour), I transferred the them to a freezer bag to store and use sometime in the future. Much cheaper (but more time consuming) than purchasing them. Plus I like being able to control what I put in them, or not put in them, for example, no MSG.As it turns out, they didn't stay in the freezer for long. I made a couple quick dinners last week with them. One night, I pan fried the dumplings, like potstickers, stir-fried some veggies, and added some marinated soy/wheat gluten from the Chinese deli. Another night, I cooked the dumplings and added them to soup, along with some noodles and veggies. Mr. Fix-it was pretty happy with the dinner menus.

2 comments:

wwjt said...

yummmmmmmmmm! they look so very tasty~makes my mouth water! ;-D

Miwa said...

Wow! Those look fantastic AND delicious! It almost inspires me to go make some myself... almost... =)