Saturday, January 13, 2007

Just how old do you think I am???

As you know, I never discuss my age. This is something that started, oh, maybe ten or more years ago. I think it had something to do with not meeting life's expectations, where I was in life, the ticking baby clock, wishing I was in a different place in my life. Now it is a habit and I don't feel like breaking it.

Lately, I've been slipping a bit and I'm pretty sure that some of my coworkers and friends have guessed my age range, if not my true age, not that I would ever confirm it. Really, it isn't that difficult to guess. I don't hide that getting a color TV was a big deal to the family or that I watched certain sitcoms when they first aired instead of on Nick at Night. I've got enough years of work experience that if you add that up with college, you'd at least get in the age range.

So why am I bring this up now? A (not so) funny incident over the holiday break plus a skin care discussion over on LM. Several people are discussing the merits of Arbonne, a skin care line sold through direct sales. I know several people who "sell" it so I'm debating whether or not to try it. We all want to look younger right? Especially after what happened when I was visiting my dad.

We were at the assisted living facility he's at and one thing that's important to do is to say hello to everyone. You know, brag that your family has come for a visit. So as we're coming and going, we had to allow extra time for meeting all of his friends and exchanging the usual plesantries. There were the usual choruses of how nice to meet you and aren't you lucky to have such nice children (making us feel like we're twelve again). So it was all very pleasant until one woman said to me, "Oh, are you his sister?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry that that lady thought you were your Dad's sister. I think people just don't think sometimes. When we went to my great-uncle's funeral last year, my Mom was quite dismayed when someone walked up to her and said, "Shirlee?" My grandparents used to live in that area for years (although they also haven't lived there in like 40+ years), and the lady thought my Mom was my Grandma! LOL Mom was less than pleased. ;)

Anonymous said...

oooops! lol!! I have no clue how old you really are......you are as young as you act!! (and realize that the lady talking probably is legally BLIND!!!)