Monday, May 25, 2009

Suew Dan (literally water egg, a steamed savory egg custard)

Mom reminded me how to make this so I'm writing down the instructions so I don't forget.

Ingredients
1 salted duck egg
2 eggs
1/2 package of bean thread (maybe a little more, but definitely not a whole package for this recipe)
water

Optional
chopped ham or half a lop cheung (Chinese sausage), can be used in addition to or instead of the duck egg.
soy sauce or oyster sauce

Directions
1. Soak the bean threads in cold water until they become translucent.
2. Cut up the egg yolk into small pieces (so everyone gets a bit in their serving). The egg yolk is solid, even though it is still raw (Mom had to tell me this so I'm passing this on to you). If it is runny or smells funny, don't use it (more advice from Mom).
3. Add the two eggs and scramble everything well.
4. Add the bean threads and water (and meat). How much water? Mom always makes this in her shallow square Corningware dish. She added enough water so the dish was just over half full.
5. Steam for 20 minutes or so. The edges of the custard should be quite firm and the middle will still be a tiny bit jiggly. There may be some small bubbles on the edges. If there are bubbles all over the top, the dish is overcooked, per Mom.

Let's hope I am successful making this on my own, lol.

Notes:
I just checked the dish and there aren't any measurements on it. It's about six inches across and holds four cups. Hope that helps someone.

No comments: