Saturday, November 21, 2009

Split Pea Soup

(I'm copying this over from LM so I'll have it available after LM shuts down.)

1 lb green split peas
1 lb yellow split peas (can use all green if you want)
8 cups of water (or more)
1 meaty ham bone
1-2 bay leaf
1 finely chopped onion (about 3/4 cup)
2-3 stalks of celery, chopped
3-4 carrots, chopped
1 potato, finely chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, finely minced
A dash of pepper

Wash, sort, and drain split peas. Combine everything in a 6 quart crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours (or more).

Notes:
This soup is very thick and will be even thicker after sitting in the fridge for a day. If you like a thinner soup, add more water when cooking. When reheating the soup, add a bit of water (or broth). I always make this in the crockpot because I've had problems with the soup sticking and burning when I cook it on the stove.

You can use chicken broth instead of water, but if there is a lot of meat on the bone, I think water is fine.

I don't add salt to this soup because of the salt in the ham and sodium in the celery. Adjust the seasonings to your taste.

No comments: