Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Broccoli Potato Chowder
This isn't an exact recipe; rather, it is something I threw together to use up some veggies. The soup ended up being extremely thick. We liked it, but I think it would be too thick for more people. Feel free to adjust to suit your tastes (including adding more bacon, cream, or cheese).
2 slices of bacon, cut into small pieces
1 medium onion, diced
olive oil, optional
6-8 small potatoes, diced (I used russets)
2 broccoli crowns, chopped
3 cups of water (or broth for more flavor)
1 cup half and half
4 oz shredded cheese (feel free to add more)
garlic power, salt, pepper to taste
1. Brown bacon and onion. Add a bit of olive oil for flavor or if the bacon isn't rendering enough fat.
2. Add the potatoes and water. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked.
3. Add the broccoli. Continue simmering until the broccoli is cooked.
4. Add the half and half and seasonings to taste.
5. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup.
6. Add the cheese; stir until it is melted. Adjust the seasonings if needed.
Makes about 3 quarts.