Sunday, August 21, 2011

Awkward

As we were out and about with our errands today, we ran into a few people we knew. One was an acquaintance of Mr. Fix-it who has had some difficult times. He was laid off over a year ago and hasn't been able to find a job since. We've seen the guy out and about since he lives in the neighborhood. The acquaintance told Andy he was buying food for just a few meals at a time since he couldn't afford more. When Mr. Fix-it told me that, I wanted to do something to help. I usually give groceries to the local food bank a couple times a year. Why not give it to someone who you know instead?

Mr. Fix-it was hesitant, but I wanted to try. I knew that it might be refused, that it could be embarrassing. And as it turns out, it was...both. I tried to be gracious, the acquaintance tried to be gracious, but it was still embarrassing. I understand, but I don't understand too because in my family, we're always giving food to one another. It might be something from the garden or a favorite food or something purchased on sale that you got a great deal on. I'm not an extreme couponer, but I do get a lot of good deals. I'm sorry I couldn't share them.

Later, we ran into one of my coworkers at Home Depot. I didn't even know she lived in the area. Thank goodness I looked presentable. Sometimes, I don't bother changing out of my "garden clothes," which are really suitable for public viewing. Or I'll just throw on a plaid shirt over striped pants and wear socks with my sandals. Yes, I have no fashion sense, lol. So, not too awkward, but still, I'm going to be more careful about what I wear when I'm out and about.

No comments: