Saturday, March 13, 2010

I passed on the blueberries

We love blueberries around here. They're the one fruit that we never get tired of. But if that were to happen, I could always turn them into a chaflouti or muffins so they're still a treat. Right now, blueberries are relatively cheap, but they're all from South America. While I'm not a locavore, I do see the absurdness of buying food that was shipped from thousands of miles away.

But some foods, I can understand buying the foreign. I'm pretty sure that some of the teas I drink can't be grown here, and I've never seen some of the ethnic preserved and canned foods I buy with US-made labels. Would I buy them if they were made in the US? Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm used to a certain taste and I'm not willing to give that up. But not buying blueberries today was a small step in the right direction, I think.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I agree! and we live in a state where we get such an abundance of local stuff. why even look elsewhere?!?!

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Good for you! That was a great step!

scrapper al said...

Thanks for the support!