Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Inferiority complex

I recently went to a scrapbook weekend with several friends. It is a great deal. We rent out a B&B for a whole weekend (usually 3-4 days) and we scrap/talk/eat/laugh the whole time.

All of women are talented scrappers. A couple of them are on design teams. Some have taught classes. Most have been published. We all inspire and encourage each other, share from our respective stashes (we're all collectors, lol), and just have fun. This time was a bit different for me though. For some reason, I was (and still am) feeling inadequate about my scrapping. My pages just don't measure up. Measure up to what? I'm not sure. When I look at them by myself, they're okay, some are even nice, creative. But when I look at my friends' work, I feel inadequate. Their work is creative, inspiring, touching.

I couldn't post this on my usual scrapbook place because I didn't (and I still don't) want a bunch of "you need to scrap for yourself" and "your work is great" replies. This is just something I need to work through and get over.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

uh oh, I was going to use that "your work is great" comment,lol.
Seriously, good luck on working through that,because your work IS good.
Take care!

Kristie said...

I so know where you're coming from. I even started subscribing to a different SB mag in hopes of helping me with motivation and design. Good luck. It sucks to feel like you don't stand out, yet don't fit in.

Dianna said...

Arlyn, does it help to know that I feel the exact same way about my work? I felt so inadequate at the CA LM Crop!
Chin up!