Monday, March 05, 2007

Soup, soup, and more soup

We're on a soup kick here. A couple weeks ago, I made a beef barley soup. Then A took some leftover yellow peas and broccoli and turned that into a yummy soup (though the cilantro he added was an odd touch). Yesterday I made Peruvian chicken cilantro soup. It was a mix of this recipe and this
one. I love this soup. My version wasn't quite as good as what I've had in restaurants, but all I had on hand was chicken breasts and I was too cheap to pay five dollars a pound for organic chicken at Trader Joes. Besides, theirs was boneless and I wanted bones. Makes a better broth, you know. I did have some homemade stock on hand to add flavor. Next time, I'm going to use chicken quarters for better flavor. If you do follow the above recipes, the only thing I'd suggest is upping the vegetables and decreasing the salt. It calls for one tablespoon and I used almost two teaspoons and I thought the soup was too salty. On the other hand, we hardly salt our food so your tastebuds might like more salt. I am definitely going to make this again.

No comments: