Wednesday, May 02, 2007

What would make my life better

Getting home earlier. Yesterday, I got home early from work. Traffic was lighter, which was nice. I had time to play on the computer, which was nice. I made dinner, which was nice. I watched the evening news, which was nice (well, the news wasn't nice, but being able to watch was).

Today, I got home around 7:00. Traffic was terrible. I was too tired to cook so thank goodness A got home earlier and made a salad. I missed the news. By the time I finished cleaning up the kitchen, I felt like I should be getting ready for bed (not really, but you know what I mean). What a difference two hour and a half hours make.

So why don't I leave work earlier? I often get called into meetings at 3:00 or 4:00. I used to have video conferences with our overseas counterparts at 5:00. So there was no use in me coming in early if all I was going to have to do was stay late. Also, it seems like no matter how early I go in, face time in the afternoon is important (no matter that I get in before most of my coworkers and bosses). In fact, people in other departments are in the habit of just walking over to my desk in the morning since they know I'll be there (and be able to help them). I sure do miss the days when I had a 30+ mile commute, but was in a vanpool so I had to leave at a certain time.

No comments: