Monday, January 05, 2009

Playing dress up

My nephew's getting married soon so I spent the past couple months sort of trying to lose weight so it would balance out the five pounds the camera adds in photos. I didn't put a lot of effort into it, but at least I didn't gain any weight.

I did decide to get serious about finding a dress. I tried on a couple dozen dresses at various stores and nothing fit, looked right, was in the right price range, so it was a frustrating experience. I can squeeze into a dress I already own and hopefully the shoes I have still fit. Guess I should check that out.

A couple weeks ago, I thought I'd wax my legs and then do some touch ups before the wedding. That was an adventure. It isn't like I haven't done it before, but this is the first time I spilled wax all over the counter, the floor, oh, and me. No matter what I tried, I just ended up getting more and more things stuck to me so I panicked and called my esthetician friend. Ever try dialing a phone with your fingers glued together? I opted not to hold the phone for fear I might glue the phone to my hair so I shouted to her over speaker phone. Or maybe I was just raising my voice in panic. Thank goodness she was available to talk. Since the oil and soap I tried didn't do any good and I didn't have anyone to send to the store (there was no way I could drive), she suggested paint thinner. Great, I'm going to kill myself with toxic fumes...I hope my nephew appreciates this. I'm sure Mr. Fix-it was shaking his head when I called him and asked if we had any paint thinner (I looked, but couldn't find it). Guess he knew better than to ask any questions. I did read all the warnings and open the windows (even though it was freezing), then proceeded to remove the gobs of wax from me. Then I worked on the counter and floor. The good news is once the wax cooled, it was pretty easy to chip away. The bad thing is sometimes it would chip away in tiny pieces and fly all over the kitchen and I'm still finding bits...when something sticks to them. And no, I never finished waxing my legs.

That might have been the pièce de résistance, but I've got one more thing to add. I decided to buy some new makeup (even though I don't normally wear makeup anymore). It has been so long since I bought any new makeup, they don't make the styles or colors I used to use and no one at the counter recognized what I had. Yes, I don't toss my makeup after six months. I had actually kept what I had in case I wanted to buy more. For all the good that did. I went to a couple different counters at the department store with varying results. Do you have any idea how much makeup costs nowadays? A couple items and that's my grocery bill for a week! But it gets better. I decided to try a new line (Estee Lauder) since Shiseido didn't make what I wanted anymore. Now my whole face itches. Was it the makeup? Was it the lotion I tried on afterwards? Why won't I stop itching? Let's hope I look okay tomorrow (and the next day and the next...).

1 comment:

Kristie said...

I love and only wear mineral makeup now. At least for today they claim it's really great for your skin and non pore clogging, and SPF built in naturally vs. no makeup and no sun protection. But, who knows what they'll say about it tomorrow! lol