Thursday, February 08, 2007

More savings

In response to the latte factor post below, I decided to open another savings account and have a small amount put there every month. I need to see how little we can live on. We're already living pretty lean, but if we don't "miss" the money I sock away, I'm going to keep upping the amount bit by bit until we hit my magic number (hopefully).

I forgot to mention it before, but we've been tracking every penny that goes out for the past couple months. After this month, I think we'll stop. Three months should give us a good idea of what we spend. And December is probably the most expensive month of the year with gifts and travel and taxes. A has been a lot better than me about inputting daily expenses. I tend to save up the receipts and enter them all at once.

We tracked our expenses a few years ago. It will be interesting to compare the differences. I know that even with my scrapbooking expenses, I spend less on myself now. We don't spend that much more on food, even though I'm cooking less.

I know we can live on less, a lot less. But only if I stop putting money into savings, which I'm not willing to do.

1 comment:

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

I'm impressed! I really should track our expenses for three months. I bet that would make us both spend a lot more intelligently. (Although, DH and I are enablers, so it might not work. LOL)